codependancy

Patterns and Characteristics of Co-dependence

Denial Patterns:
I have difficulty identifying what I am feeling.
I minimize, alter or deny how I truly feel.
I perceive myself as completely unselfish and dedicated to the well being of others.


Low Self Esteem Patterns:
I have difficulty making decisions.
I judge everything I think, say or do harshly, as never "good enough."

I am embarrassed to receive recognition and praise or gifts.
I do not ask others to meet my needs or desires.
I value others' approval of my thinking, feelings and behavior over my own.
I do not perceive myself as a lovable or worthwhile person.


Compliance Patterns:
I compromise my own values and integrity to avoid rejection or others' anger.
I am very sensitive to how others are feeling and feel the same.
I am extremely loyal, remaining in harmful situations too long.
I value others' opinions and feelings more than my own and am afraid to express differing opinions and feelings of my own.
I put aside my own interests and hobbies in order to do what others want.
I accept sex when I want love.


Control Patterns:
I believe most other people are incapable of taking care of themselves.
I attempt to convince others of what they "should" think and how they "truly" feel.

I become resentful when others will not let me help them.
I freely offer others advice and directions without being asked.
I lavish gifts and favors on those I care about.
I use sex to gain approval and acceptance.
I have to be "needed" in order to have a relationship with others.

So its Good Friday...in reflecting on my life, who I am and how it all ties into the Passion and Death of my Saviour...I'm moved to start venturing into what it means to be be codependent. Those that I italicized, I know for certain I SO AM like that...however those that I left...I wonder...am I like that and don't know it?

So I'm thinking about Jesus in Me...and my relationship with our Triune God and Mama Mary and my pop and mom. I'm thinking about my DH Cookie and my sons. I'm thinking about my brother, my friends and those who have hurt me in the past...where am I in all of it. I go on and come across this,

"The codependent person tries to provide and control everything within the relationship without addressing their own needs or desires; setting themselves up for continued unfulfillment Even when a codependent person encounters someone with healthy boundaries, the codependent person still operates in their own system; they’re not likely to get too involved with people who have healthy boundaries. This of course creates problems that continue to recycle; if codependent people can’t get involved with people who have healthy behaviors and coping skills, then the problems continue into each new relationship. "

So in reflection what Jesus went through in love and mercy...I'm pondering what my Passion, Death and Resurrection is like.

I want to live my life like its heaven on earth. I don't want to be completely co-dependant on someone or viceversa...I want to be completely, wholly and ONLY dependant on HIM.


I'm eager to see what HE has in store this Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment